Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Sock Monster Cometh

These weren't ever posted as they were gifts. They were finally given to their receipients. I was immediately reminded that they have birthdays coming up too. In other words, they really liked their socks and now want more. At least we all have the same size feet.

I think they are of a BFL roving that was dyed with kool-aid and then hand-spun. The left one was navajo-plied and is much denser and rougher as a result. The right one is a two ply. I love the randomness of the stripes and seeing the new color combos that appear.

Monday, January 16, 2006


Hmm, cleaning the place up this weekend and noticing that I have a lot of small amounts of self-stirping sock yarn left. Typically, it takes me about 75% of a ball to do a sock. Trying to think of some things to do with the other 25%. Should keep some for mending, could do baby socks or mini sweaters for christmas tree ornaments, could make granny squares for an blanket....

Other ideas?

Sunday, January 01, 2006

It's A Wrap!

This was supposed to be a clever title with pictures of the two wraps that I made on my new 20" Schacht Rigid Heddle Loom. I finished said wraps and then proceeded to wrap them as they are gifts and forgot to photograph them. Ho hum.

Here is a picture of said loom with warp on it for wraps. I am almost ashamed to admit it is acrylic. It has a chenille-like texture and the warp was a boucle, also in acrylic. Why acrylic?? It's what the recipients wanted. They did turn out pretty good, even for being plastic.

So what's next for the new loom? Practice with color and texture. I did weave this runner out of cottons:

website hit counters
Video Game Rental